Creating my artifact (Curriculum Map) gave me the opportunity to reflect on my teaching practice. As a result, my knowledge and understanding in the areas of the 4 MSE goals have greatly expanded.
I learned that differences are normal. Diversity should be viewed as an asset; that we learn from people who are different from us. Moreover, school structures and procedures can cause some “disabilities,” like requiring absolute silence and no interactions in the classroom (Zemelman, Daniels, & Hyde, 2005).
I have been aware that students have different learning styles and intelligence(s). I have also been aware that someone’s culture and subculture have a lot to do with how he/she learns.
However, I thought that diversity would mean a lot more work and preparation on my part. I also thought that I would not be fair if I gave “special” consideration and accommodations to some students on the bases of their differences.
I provided my students a variety of activities—from pencil and paper to hands-on. However, it was mostly teacher-directed/planned. No wonder it was laborious and time-consuming on my part!
I agree with Zemelman Daniels, and Hyde (2005), that I should see diversity as a great opportunity not just for me to teach but for my students to learn. It is also an excellent way for the students to learn from each other. Social interactions promote meaningful and long-term learning.
I will allow them to own their learning by involving them in planning and deciding their culminating activities. I will be a facilitator and a guide for my students. Together we will strive to produce meaningful evidence of their learning.
As part of considering diversity, it is also important to involve parents when creating curriculums or curriculum maps. Asking input from all walks of life will strengthen the relevance of our curriculum design.
The 3 stages of Backwards Design Model are: Identify results or outcomes (standards and essential questions); determine acceptable learning evidence (differentiated or balanced assessments); and plan instructional strategies and learning experiences that are within the students’ competency level (Himes, 2002). I did not understand why traditional and authentic assessments were written first before the instructional tasks (lessons) in our unit plan format. My assessments were limited because I was more focused in writing the learning strategies. Now, I have a clearer understanding on Backwards Design planning. I also realized it is much easier and more effective to plan this way—having the desired product (through learning skills and differentiated assessments) in mind before planning the lessons.
My curriculum map made me realize the importance of balanced assessments and giving my students more freedom/options on their culminating activities. Assessments are not just means for putting grades in their report card. They are also a means to evaluate my teaching practice—whether it’s effective or not. My artifact gave me an opportunity to be creative on my assessments. It made me consistently ask:
1. Will this kind of assessment bring reliable proof of long-term and relevant learning?
2. Is this age/ability-appropriate? Will it be attainable by each student?
3. Will my students be motivated do accomplish this?
4. Have I considered diversity or multiculturalism?
In spite of my country’s culture, which is collectivistic, I have been very individualistic when doing tasks. That is my learning style. Perhaps because of experience and observation, I used to think that collaboration is a waste of time. There are more gossips and personal sharing than work-related discussions during grade level meetings. So I usually end up asking my grade chair to delegate us tasks to do, either by pair or individually. As a result, these meetings were unproductive. Each of us heard our own voice, but ignored the ideas of others.
“The expertise and knowledge of teachers is vitally important to teaching and improved student learning. The very foundation of curriculum mapping requires teachers to talk together about what they teach. These conversations compel teachers to analyze practice, make decisions about curriculum changes and modifications, examine assessments, and ultimately learn from each other in a collaborative manner.” (Udelhofen, 2005, p. 3). When I made my curriculum map, I recalled and evaluated my colleague’s previous statements. I reviewed some of the thematic unit plans they shared to me, and I realized that they were full of bright ideas—From the differentiated assessments to learning strategies.
This coming school year, I will share the Learning Circle advice to my grade level. I’m sure that if we follow this, our meetings will be very productive:
"Be respectful of others
Agree that being professionals means adapting, not adopting, new ideas.
Agree that there are lots of ways to teach, assess and learn.
Ask thoughtful questions.
Welcome all points of view.
Limit the frequency and lengths of meetings.
Agree how participants will take turns talking.
Agree to give each speaker undivided attention.
Refrain from giving advice or ideas unless the speaker requests them.
Agree that conversations at the meeting should not be repeated elsewhere unless permission is granted by the person telling the story” (Davies, A., 2000, p. 81).
Himes, F. (2002). Instructional design intensive workshop. Paper presented at the FHDA virtual conference. Retrieved July 6, 2009 from http://pixel.fhda.edu/id/index.html
Davies, A. (2000). Making classroom assessment work. Courtenay, British Columbia: Connections Publishing.
Udelhofen, S. (2005). Keys to curriculum mapping: Strategies and tools to make it work. Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin.
Zemelman,S., Daniels, H., & Hyde, A. (2005). Best Practice: Today’s standards for teaching and learning in America’s schools. Portsmouth, NH: Heinemann.
No comments:
Post a Comment